“I love you not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you. I love you not only for what you have made of yourself, but for what you are making of me. I love you for the part of me that you bring out.”

Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Spiritual 4th of July

The 4th of July is and always has been one of my favorite holidays for several reasons. I love this country so much and cannot help but get teary eyed when the fireworks go off with all of the patriotic music playing in the background. Four years ago, this holiday became even more important and meaningful to me when my baby brother joined the Marine Corps. Now, four years and two tours to Iraq later, Kirk is home and his contract is over. I wish that we were able to go back to Utah and visit with my whole family and go to the Stadium of Fire but I was able to do something else last week that I thought was quite special.
.
I spent last week in Oklahoma with the young women in my ward for Girls Camp. It was such a great experience for me and I hope I get the opportunity to do it again. It is such a different experience being the leader and trying to help your girls build their own testimonies. It was such a spiritual week full of neat opportunities and I was able to get to know my girls so well. I am so proud how much they all put into camp because I am a strong believer that you only get out of something as much as you're willing to put into it. One morning, we got some saddening news that 3 of our girls' dad had a heart attack that morning. He is okay and will be but it was very hard news to swallow and my girls just rallied around their friends and comforted them.
.
I missed my family over the holiday weekend and wish I was able to visit and barbeque with all of them but I wouldn't trade my week at camp for a visit home. After camp, we had a great BBQ dinner with friends and went to a nearby park to watch fireworks. I am so grateful for this wonderful country that we live in. I am so grateful for the gospel in my life and the blessings that it brings me daily. I am grateful that Sunday was both July 4th and fast and testimony meeting because it was such a great day to celebrate the freedoms that we all have from having the restored gospel here as well as living in America. I am grateful for my little brother that was willing to serve our country and put his life on the line several times to protect our freedoms. I'm grateful for the priesthood blessing he received prior to his first tour comforting us all and assuring us that he would come home safely. I am grateful for my families faith when we weren't made those same promises on his second tour. I love my brother and look up to him so much for what he has accomplished. I love my family for their support they showed him over the past 4 years. I am grateful for Matt and girls and the blessing we have to be expecting another baby this year. I am overwhelmed with all that I have in my life and feel so blessed and loved by so many. I am mostly grateful for the knowledge and testimony I have of my Savior and the comfort he gives me several times a day.
.

My parents and Kirk.

2 comments:

Kelsey M. said...

kirk is sooo awesome. i'm glad you got to have such a wonderful 4th, even though you couldn't be out here! i love this country so much.

How Sweet it is! said...

I am so grateful for Kirk, and the service he gave to our country. The 4th was so good here, besides all the regular fun stuff, your dad bore his testimony in church. It was very touching.