Since we got to Perth just a few days before Christmas, we didn't have any real plans. We got invited over to a couple different houses for a swim and BBQ Christmas, but decided to do our own thing with the kids. We did meet friends at the beach Christmas Eve evening though and the kids loved it. It was nice to feel welcomed so quickly to a new place, and the beach was gorgeous.
Can I just say how lucky I feel? We showed up to Perth on Saturday, December 20TH. We stayed in temporary housing for a couple of weeks. I was very anxious about how Christmas was going to work out in a new city in a matter of days. We didn't have Saturday or Sunday to shop, so really we had two days to get things organized for the kids. We went to our new ward on Sunday and my RS President said, "I'll pick you up in the morning and take you shopping." All of a sudden, something that could have been so stressful was all taken care of in a couple of hours. We hit a few stores, got shopping done, and were able to enjoy a really simple and lovely Christmas. If there is anything that I've learned over the past few years is how much stuff really doesn't matter. As long as I have Matt and we have our kids, we can make fun and happy memories. We don't have to have a thousand traditions or fancy decor. We just need each other. (Being in beautiful Australia is a fun perk too.)
We are settled and doing well now. We have since moved into our beautiful rental home and everyone is doing well with their school or work. We are getting better at communicating with home each day and we are living it up since we think we'll only be here a short time.
No comments:
Post a Comment