“I love you not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you. I love you not only for what you have made of yourself, but for what you are making of me. I love you for the part of me that you bring out.”

Sunday, August 02, 2009

Don't Take Them From Me

Friday afternoon I received the horrible news that a young boy in from my homeward growing up had died in an accident. He was run over in his own driveway. The news shook me up a little on Friday and I could not stop thinking about his family and those involved in the accident, but for the most part I went along with my day as usual. I did not know this child personally as he was only 4 or 5 years old but I have known his parents most of my life and used to babysit his older siblings. As the day continued, my heart and mind continued to fill with thoughts of the situation and those affected by it. It also kept me reflecting on my girls and how much they mean to me. Ultimately, the focus on my mind was the Gospel and how grateful I am of the knowledge that I have of The Plan of Salvation and that families are eternal. Friday came and went and then Saturday came and went and I had a great day with my family.

Saturday night is when everything hit me all at once. Matt and I had a wonderful day with the girls and each other. We came home, put the girls down for bed, hung out for a little while and then went to bed ourselves. Laying in bed I was overcome with emotions and could not sleep. My mind kept returning to my girls and what I would do if I lost them. I had to get out of bed and check on them. Even in their sleep, they amaze me. Sienna was sleeping upside down and Sadie was was pinned at the foot of her crib with her blanket and bear near. They both looked so peaceful and beautiful. I blew them each a kiss and returned to my room where I crawled into bed and started to sob. My heart was broken for my friends that had lost their son, brother, nephew, and friend. My biggest fear is losing my girls and I pray every night for another day with them. They are everything to me and make me so happy. I love their witty personalities and tender hearts. We have so much fun together and I feel truly blessed to be their mom. I pray for those that have lost children of their own and hope they can find peace and comfort through the Savior.

(These pictures are from a few weeks ago and the girls are showing their blue mouths from eating blueberries.)

6 comments:

.l i c k t e e s. said...

ditto. i think i had the same experience as you, only mine happened friday night. and i couldn't leave my boys' room after they fell asleep :) it's been a bittersweet weekend full of sadness but also full of thankfulness.

give loves to your girls for us and keep them extra safe :)

love ya!

JEN said...

Isn't it crazy how quickly your life can change? We had a close call awhile back... Bridger ran behind our Jeep right as Kyle went to move it. Kyle saw him and didn't go anywhere but in an instant my life could have changed forever. It makes me cry just thinking about it right now. How lucky I am to have them every day! Every day is a gift. Every day I am grateful that my kids are healthy and happy. Even just this experience has changed my perspective so much. I don't know how I could, or if I could handle losing a child. But I am also grateful to know what I know. What a blessing.

Brent and Britta said...

I can't get over how much Sadie looks JUST LIKE YOU! Amazing.

Macdonalds said...

I share those same feelings. After hearing the news from you and seeing it on tv, I felt so ill. It really makes you cherish the time you are given with your children and to never take it for granted. I'm learning to enjoy those moments I want to pull my hair out and just laugh with them. The days of sticky hand prints, muddy clothes, tantrums and puddle jumping will be gone too soon. I don't know how people get through this life without the gospel.

Kelsey M. said...

This was an excellent post Karin, thanks for sharing it with us. It's definitely been an emotional few days around the neighborhood. Thank goodness for this gospel and eternal families.

Susan said...

I didn't know that you knew the family too. The mom and aunt actually grew up in my ward in CA. I was so sad when I heard the news too. It is things like that that make me so grateful to have the gospel. (I'm Sharee's friend Susan, in case you were wondering)