“I love you not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you. I love you not only for what you have made of yourself, but for what you are making of me. I love you for the part of me that you bring out.”

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Nubulized

Last night was a long night without much sleep for any of us except for Sadie. Sienna woke up about every 30-40 minutes without fail. She was coughing a little bit but for the most part she seemed well in terms of being healthy. This morning I noticed that she was wheezing a little bit and her heart beat was very rapid. I decided to skip gymnastics and I gave her doctor a call. The nurses were very concerned about her wheezing and had me bring her in immediately. When they hooked her up to the lung monitor, it said that she was only getting about 93% of her oxygen to her lungs. The doctor told me that this was on the border of where they get really concerned. After being hooked up to an oxygen machine Sienna started breathing much better but her lungs still sounded 'tight' to the doctor. They decided to hook her up one more time to a nebulizer but this time with medicine and not oxygen to see if that would clear her up even more. The doctor told me that they are only allowed to test her three times in the office and if she wasn't clear they would send us to get her a chest x-ray and if it was cleared after the in office tests, they would send me to the Emergency Room for more testing. I didn't understand why if she did clear up they would need to send us to the ER but then again, I am not a doctor. Luckily, after the second treatment Sienna sounded great and was getting close to 100% oxygen in her lungs. The doctor decided that we didn't need to do more testing and so he just sent us up the street for a chest x-ray.
.
It definitely wasn't enjoyable watching Sienna have to go through this but I am so grateful that things weren't more serious. I am also so proud of Sienna for how she handled everything today. I remember when they put an oxygen mask on me while I was in labor and it drove me crazy.
.
Concerned little sister. I was also very impressed and grateful for how easy and well behaved Sadie was during everything today.

To keep the girls distracted in the doctor's office I let Sienna take a bunch of pictures of us.

Silly Sadie making her crazy cheese face.

Sienna was such a trooper. It's a good thing she doesn't completely lose it when she has to wear this because I have to do it to her at home for the next seven days. I even have to wake her up in the middle of the night to do it. By the end of the week, she only has to do it once every 12 hours but today and tomorrow it has to be every 2-4 hours and gradually goes down from there.
.
Still waiting until we can go home.
.
We went straight from our doctor's office to a radiology center down the street to get Sienna's x-rays done and both of the girls fell asleep before we arrived. I was already anxious about the x-rays and kept trying to prepare Sienna by telling her that we had to take some pictures of her bones. Now that she had fallen asleep I was extremely nervous that she would be more prone to a melt down but I was wrong and she did awesome. I couldn't even keep the girls awake to walk into the building so as soon as I got through the front door I laid Sienna on a bench in the waiting room while I filled out the paper work.
.
Sadie was snoring so loud and got all sorts of comments. The lady at the desk told me that she didn't know how long the wait would be and that I had someone in front of me that had already been waiting for a half an hour. I wasn't too worried about the wait since the girls were sleeping anyway but they called us back within about five minutes. The nurse taking Sienna's "pictures" was great and made it so easy. I was so relieved when I realized that Sienna just had to stand on a stool and didn't have to be strapped down or anything confining like that. What a morning, but it is over and we are all doing great. I didn't let myself stress out or worry too much about everything going on and early on I was overcome with a comforting feeling that things would be okay. I am just praying now that this is only a one time thing and isn't going to turn into asthma struggles or anything like that for the rest of her life. Oh, and they have already gotten back to me with the x-ray results and everything looks normal!! I feel very blessed and grateful today.
.
After everything was finally done with the doctors we met Matt for a late lunch. It was a great break for Sienna to see her daddy and she was able to deliver her orange cake to Cara. Sienna helped me decorate this cake last night for a friend at work.

15 comments:

Alyssa said...

Wow, what a day! I'm glad Sienna is doing much better!

Loralee said...

Oh, I am so so sorry! That doesn't sound like fun. But what fabulous little girls for acting so well behaved at the doctor's office. The photos are precious.

P.S. The cake is fabulous! You have to open up your own business one day!

brit said...

only you could end a day like that with a cake like that.

love ya~!

Karalee said...

I'm glad she is doing much better. She is such a sweet girl.

Jared and Jessica said...

That would be scary! I am glad she is ok though :)

jamie said...

ugh that so sucks! I'm glad she is feeling better already. Blake HATES that nebulizer with a passion. If kidcare sent you home with one from cook children's...surprise surprise our crappy insurance doesn't pay for it. Mary somehow got a prescription for hers and only had to pay a copay though? So anyway we had to buy ours normal price but it seems to work pretty quickly for B!

Kiera said...

Wow, Crazy day! I am glad that nothing was wrong! I hope she is doing better. We need to get together, it has been a long time since we have seen each other!

Kelsey M. said...

Holy smokes I'm glad she's okay! Poor little girl.
Awesome cake. Move back to Utah so we can open up shop. Please?

Macdonalds said...

Your girls are so awesome. Poor Sienna! YAY for good results and another amazing cake!

Tammy said...

Oh what a yucky day. I hope she feels better soon.

Kaytie Brown said...

OH YOUR POOR GIRL!! Jope she's feeling better!

Gina said...

No fun. Cole goes through the wheezing every winter. I have a nebulizer if you ever need to borrow it let me know.
Nice cake, love the colors you chose.

Jenn said...

ok, every time i read your blog i always leave thinking, wow, what a great mom karin is.

Brandon and Amber said...

Oh so sad! I totally know what you're going through--Samantha and Hallie both have had to use the nebulizer. It is no fun at all. Hope she is feeling better. And how in the world did you decorate a cake after everything?

Hailey said...

Children + Drs/Hospitals = :P

That cake, however, is Super lovely! In an art history class I learned that that pattern is called "vermiculation" [Gee, even spell check knows it!] ... it is all over buildings in Paris, trés chic! (It means worm pattern -- just think about the chicness of it!)

xox