“I love you not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you. I love you not only for what you have made of yourself, but for what you are making of me. I love you for the part of me that you bring out.”

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Nothing to Lose but Everything to Gain

Here is a quick update on the post I did earlier. I made a cake tonight for fun and it is huge. I'll probably try sunflowers again sometime without rushing but overall, I am satisfied. It is a chocolate cake with a chocolate mousse filling and buttercream icing. I rushed decorating it quite a bit but I'm sure the guys at work will love a free gigantic cake even if it is a little sloppy. I'm having a lot of fun doing this and I finally signed up to take some cake decorating classes.
This is from the cake pan that Matt's family got me for my birthday. Seriously enormous!
.
Also, Sienna did amazing today with the whole potty training thing (read below). I didn't change one messy diaper today, she went in the toilet every time!!!
.
I am such a proud mommy right now. Sienna has not ceased to amuse me lately with how smart she is. She has been talking more and more every day. I was writing down all of the words that she currently knows and not counting animal noises, it was over 40 words. One of her favorite words lately has been potty. She says it all of the time but recently started saying, "potty-tinky" (stinky) when she has messed her diaper or when she sees one of us using the bathroom. Just for fun, I bought her a seat of her own to put over the regular toilet. Last night, Matt and I caught her squatting and trying to go potty so I had her follow me into the bathroom and put her on her seat. She went poop in the toilet!! Yes, that was mostly because we caught her in the act but I was still very happy because she thought it was the neatest thing ever. To make things even better, after her bath this morning she was running around saying, "potty." It is one of her favorite words right now so I didn't think much of it but I figured what the heck and put her on the potty. She did it again! After pooping in the potty, she reached for the toilet paper and said, "all un." I tried to get her to stay up there because I knew she wasn't quite finished but she insisted on getting down. We flushed the toilet, washed her hands, and put her diaper back on. A few minutes later I asked her if she wanted to go night night and take a nap. She looked at me and said, "potty" again. I thought to myself that she is too young to pull this on me already... you know, pretending to have to go potty to get out of naps. Then I realized she loves naps and maybe she really has to go again. Before I knew it, she was running to the second bathroom where her special potty is and started knocking on the door saying, "potty, potty, potty." Yep, you got it, I put her on the toilet and she finished what she had previously started. She is pooping in the toilet before she is even strong enough to flush the toilet. The girl isn't even 14 months yet.

.

Don't think I am crazy. I don't expect her to be potty trained any time soon but seriously, what do we have to lose by trying? Matt and I don't have any expectations and we are just taking this one day at a time. I'm sure it will take quite a bit longer before Sienna can tell us when she needs to pee in the potty or when she is wet, but what a great start. Go Sienna! We're so proud of you.

Nobody was more proud than Sienna herself. She thought it was so cool sitting on the toilet. I'm just glad she didn't fall in.

Something else that Sienna loves right now is coloring. She wants to color at least 2-3 times a day. This picture kills me because of how she is holding the crayon. I have absolutely love spending every minute with her and as happy as I am to have another baby, I am going to miss the quality one on one time we have together. Sienna is going to be a great big sister though and am very determined to still have my special time with Sienna. Does anyone have advice on how to make things easier for Sienna when the new baby comes?

10 comments:

Macdonalds said...

Maybe Sienna can give Gavin a little pep talk about how cool the potty is... I must admit I am a little envious. I hope she stays interested, that will make it easy for you.
I always tried to plan a little activity with Gavin each day while Max was taking his morning nap. Whether it was making pancakes together, coloring,or play dough etc. We often go outside and kick a ball around or something too. Gavin never went through a jealousy phase, I was lucky. I also have Andy watch Max so just me and Gav can go to the park or a movie or even to the store to make sure he gets his mommy time. We have a lot of fun together.

Brandon and Amber said...

How awesome that she's using the potty--hopefully she'll keep it up so you won't have to change 2 kids at the same time! I only did that for 2 months, but it felt like I just changed diapers all day.

We got Samantha a special present when Amy was born and I made sure to have Samantha time each day. She was so infatuated with babies at the time that she never seemed to get jealous, so that was a huge blessing. I bet that Sienna will be a great big sister and a helper for you!

Alyssa said...

Good job Sienna with the potty! That's pretty cute. :)

Kev and Aubs said...

I hope for you she sticks with it. It would be great to only have one kid in diapers, something I am determined to get to, soon too!

Because they are so close, I bet Sienna won't be too jealous, Ty never was. But I let Ty help as much as possible and of course spend time with them one on on.

Anonymous said...

sienna sounds just like ella and her potty training at that age! that would be so nice to get her started! i'm sure she will stick with it as long as you do :)

love ya!
reni

Macdonalds said...

That cake looks yummy! Have fun with your cake decorating classes. I have wanted to do that for a long time, maybe one of these days I will have the time. Just thought you should know that Gavin looks for you almost everyday, he looks under the bed and in the closet and asks "where did Karin go?...no, no Karin"

Valerie said...

Great job on the cake. I'm glad you are taking a class...you won't regret it.

You could give Sienna a baby doll the same day that the baby is born. I had a couple friends do this and they said it helped.

Sharee said...

Oh my goodness! Sienna is so cute and I can't believe she is already learning how to go potty in the toilet!!! Brandon was telling me all about it and how cute she is and I just missed seeing you guys so much! I can't wait until we can get together. I feel like I have been out of town forever. By the way, I have your cute swim suit!

Sharee said...

I forgot to tell you how delicious the cake looks and the way you described it made me SO hungry, especially since I have no food in my house since I just got back last night! You are getting so good!

Kiera said...

Cool cake! I hope Sienna doesn't do what Audrey has done. Good luck with potty training!