Yesterday, I had the opportunity to go tour Le Cordon Bleu Institute of Culinary Arts in Dallas while Matt watched Sienna at work. This is something that I have been interested in for awhile and applied for the school on a whim. I received a call to come down and take a tour. To my surprise, the school offers classes from 7pm-midnight. It is a 15 month program and it would give me an associates degree as well as a diplome from Le Cordon Bleu. I was hesitant to go because I knew that this is the cream of the crop and would be very expensive. There are other culinary schools around but this is internationally known and is the best of the best. It was such a neat experience. The school has 10 commercial sized kitchens. It looked like 1o miniature Kitchen Stadiums from Iron Chef. I was completely blown away and got super excited learning more about the school. Unfortunately, expensive is an understatement. After tuition, uniforms (yep, the chef's coats, pants, hats, steel toed shoes and whatever they call that thing around their neck), and the tool kit, the school cost $36,300. I am not about to spend 40k on a hobby of mine. If I was single and didn't have a family to raise then I would probably consider something like this. It is a love of mine and I am constantly watching the Food Network with Matt. I am not a good cook/chef but I have always wanted to learn and improve. Matt *my husband that hates debt more than I do* is insanely supportive and wants me to do this in a year or two. I'm sorry, there's no way. Matt's education didn't cost anywhere near that much and he is going to be the one supporting our family. He told me that it was only money and we could pay it off later on. What a sweetheart. I love how supportive Matt is and that he wants me to follow a dream of mine. Maybe sometime in the future I will do something like this when the kids are grown up and I can open my own bakery or work as a top chef somewhere and work to pay off the debt. For now, I am more than happy living my number one dream that I have had my whole life... being married to my best friend and stay home with my kids. The career specialist kept telling me that I needed to do something for myself, what is important to me. I finally told him that being home with my family is what is important to me. He was very impressed and respected that. He did still try to convince me that I could do both -which I could if I wanted to take out another loan. He didn't understand why I didn't want to use financial aid and pay it off later. I had a great time at the school and had a constant grin from ear to ear the entire time, but for now, I will take some cake decorating classes and enjoy making messes in my own kitchen with my kids!

While I was at the school, I kept thinking of my little brother. This would be an awesome career for Kirk. He has always loved the kitchen and enjoyed cooking. I think he would do an exceptional job as a head chef running his own restaurant. It is something that comes a lot more natural for him and I remember him wanting to do this when he was younger. I was so excited to come home and call him to tell him all about it. He seemed interested but he could just be flattering his big sis. He still has 2 years left in the Marine Corps but it is something he could do when his contract is up. I love my little brother and think it would be awesome for him to move to Texas with us. Now, I'm getting ahead of myself.
6 comments:
Wow, that's really neat! And good job Matt for being so supportive. :)
Have you guys ever watched 'Top Chef'? I think you would like it; we watch it every week on Bravo.
IRON CHEF KARIN! Great post! Don't give up on the dream. Just keep taking some classes here and there and you'll be on your way. But for christmas if i get your name i will get you some steel toed boots and a hat so you can have your own kitchen uniform. love ya, brittney!
I'm glad Matt is so supportive. I think you would do great! There's nothing wrong with starting small with a few classes at the community college and when your family is ready you can jump in and go for it. You have a lot of talent in you already with your cakes. I know this would be a lot of fun for you.
Even though I already heard this story on Saturday, I really loved reading it again - such a great experience - you will probably always remember it!
KARIN the GREAT! This is the best post ever. Hot Digitty! If Matt says he'd help and is encouraging you and his job doesn't drag him all over the planet, you should make this happen--that is the only way things get done. Honestly, it seems a bit backwards to cook for your family for years, they grow up and THEN learn how it's really done?! It is a pretty short program, time-wise. I'll move to Texas and go with you! (No wait... I want to take some business classes AND I don't think C would go for it.) I think all parents should learn how to really cook. (Duh, everyone should.) The other day at the grocery store check out the cashier asked me, "What's this?" It was a turnip; pretty exotic. She was in her late 20's.
Brittney can buy you the boots, I'll find the groovy checkered pants. :)
that would be awesome if you went to cooking school! your baking is already phenomenal. i totally volunteer to be your taste tester :)
Post a Comment