“I love you not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you. I love you not only for what you have made of yourself, but for what you are making of me. I love you for the part of me that you bring out.”

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Distraction is a Great Medicine

With May 26 approaching, I really wanted to do something special for Emily. It is a challenging day for her as it is the day her brother was killed nine years ago in a freak accident. I was going to send her something like I do every year, but after hearing a story in Utah that hit way too close to home and reminded me of some of the struggles my sweet friend also faces, I wanted to do more to let her know she wasn't alone in her hurt, but she was loved and Eric was remembered.

Matt wins huge points with this one because he was immediately supportive of my last minute and somewhat extravagant plans. He worked things out so he could be home with the kids and I flew to Utah and arrived just before midnight on the 25. Andy worked late and picked me up on his way home and I walked in both waking up and surprising Emily.

We spent the day talking, eating, shopping, eating, playing, eating, and visiting the cemetery. It was such a fun day. I caught a plane that night and was home around midnight. It was a quick twenty-four hours but it was so much fun and Emily was able to enjoy her day. 

Part of her gift was that nobody knew I was in Utah. My dad actually called me that morning and asked what I was up to. I asked him if he wanted the truth and he immediately replied, "you're pregnant again!" Ha ha. No dad. I'm at Emily's. It was a good laugh for all of us.

Emily, I love you! You don't have to battle or face any of these things alone.






No comments: