“I love you not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you. I love you not only for what you have made of yourself, but for what you are making of me. I love you for the part of me that you bring out.”

Sunday, November 30, 2008

My Favorite Traditions

I love Thanksgiving and Christmas for many reasons but my favorite things have to do with traditions with my family, specifically my mom. Before I get into our Christmas traditions I want to say that Thanksgiving at home was a success. We had some great friends come over and the food was delicious. I could go on forever about how grateful I am for the different things in my life but I'll keep it short and simple. I have been so blessed to be born into a good family that raised me with the knowledge of the true and restored gospel. I am also extremely grateful for the people in my life. I have the best family and friends anyone could dream for. Matt is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me and we are blessed to have two beautiful girls that make our lives better every day. Matt and I love life and are grateful for the good times and the hard times along the way. We are most blessed by the relationships we have developed over the years. I have so many friends that I hold close to my heart and I look forward to talking to them on the phone since most of them still live in Utah (or currently Spain).
.

Here is the only picture I have from Thanksgiving. Audrey, Sienna, and Brooklyn devouring a plate of jello at the kids' table.

Moving onto traditions... one of my favorite traditions at Christmas time is reading a Christmas related story. I don't have a picture of this but I probably will later in the month. What happens is every year one of our gifts from my mom and dad is a different Christmas book. In the cover of the book my mom has typed out a paragraph or two about everyone in our family including the family pets. We read what my mom has written and then we read the story as a family. It is a fun reminder of different things we experienced from the previous year. It usually brings out a lot of laughs and a few tears.

Don't worry, Sienna was supposed to open these presents early. She is opening a package sent from my mom. Every year my mom sews all of us kids and grand kids Christmas pillowcases. Matt loves the ones she made 2 years ago so much that he keeps them on our bed year round. Sienna opened the present and said, "WOW!" She loves them too.
.
These are the beautiful pillow cases for this year.

My mom also paints us new Christmas ornaments every year. We have hundreds of dollars worth of ornaments from Hallmark (also from my mom from over the years) but these are my favorite because they are so personal.

Sienna holding her "baby's 1st year" ornament. Matt kept telling Sienna not to touch the ornaments because they were mommy's special ornaments, so Sienna walked around saying, "mommy's specials." She got to hold, "Sienna's special" for awhile which made her happy.
.
I also love the tradition of stockings. I think they are so cute and fun.
.
Christmas came early here. We are completely done Christmas shopping. That feels so nice figuring it isn't even December yet. When I say done, I mean done. The only thing we may still purchase is a couple of small gifts for each other. Most of these gifts are from our parents and even though after today she may not deserve it, about 80% of them are for Sienna.
.
Getting out my mom's Nativity Scene is one of my favorite things about Christmas time. It means so much to me to have something so personal from my mom to keep forever. She is such a talented artist and it took her over 3 years to finish this because she painted about 15 sets for different people. Our stake is using this in their Nativity display this week. I am torn about my decision to let them borrow it because it is irreplaceable to me but I can't wait to see it set up at the stake center along with over 1,000 others for everyone to come and see. Christmas is such a special time of year and as much as I love the look of presents under the tree, Christmas is about the Savior. That is another reason I love this Nativity so much, what a beautiful reminder of what Christmas is really about.

12 comments:

James said...

Wow, your mom is so talented!! What great traditions she has started. I love the nativity scene! That is amazing!! I can't believe you are all done Christmas shopping! That is great! We missed you at church today. I hope you are feeling better soon!
-Kiera

Ted said...

Wow! You're done Christmas shopping? I wish we were...we're getting there I guess. :)

And how fun that the girls got presents early. That definitely helps get you feeling in the season. And Your mom is seriously so talented!

Alyssa said...

Sorry...that last comment was me. I didn't know I was signed in as Ted. :)

brit said...

awesome post! i love all the pictures and the tribute to mom's paintings! merry christmas!

Kelsey M. said...

I loved this post Karin! I can't believe you're already done Christmas shopping...that is absolutely amazing. Ha I haven't even begun! Goodness. Well I miss ya!

.l i c k t e e s. said...

your house looks so cute all decorated :) we love all the family traditions, too, even though we'll have to tweak some of them this year! and it gets even better the older your kiddies get!

miss you guys tons :)

Gina said...

You are on top of things with your Christmas shopping and already decorated. I haven't even taken down my Thanksgiving decor!

Sorry to hear you were sick Sunday.

I'll be in touch.

Kaytie Brown said...

What fun CUTE Christmas stuff!! The jello eating was one of the best parts of Thanksgiving, so I'm glad we at least captured that moment with a picture :)

erica said...

Aw Sienna's hair is getting long! Your house looks very decorative. I remember seeing those beautiful ornaments last year

Valerie said...

The Nativity set is so beautiful! Your mom is really talented. I'm jealous that you have all your shopping done. I have barely started. :)

Macdonalds said...

Your mom sure is amazing! I can't believe I am done shopping too, but nothing is wrapped. (I have a few items to get but those have to wait anyway or Andy will find them and eat them). Your house looks great! I'm sure thankful for cell phones, I don't know what I would do if I couldn't at least talk to you whenever I wanted to. Feel better! I miss you tons!

Loralee said...

So neat! I love your beautiful Nativity. And the story and connection behind it with your mother makes it even more beautiful. I can see where you get all your talent from.